Have you heard about Genially?

Have you heard about Genially? Nope, neither had I or at least I hadn’t until just a couple of months ago.

After attending a conference, I came home and started investigating different web-based programs that could be used for gamification in the classroom. I wanted to create more engaging lessons and make the activities interactive for students. I was familiar with Kahoot and Padlet, but I knew there were others I could learn about. 

When I was investigating options, I used the following criteria:
  1. Is it web-based?
  2. Is it easy for me as the instructor to use to build out the lessons/activities?
  3. Is it easy for students to use/understand?
  4. What’s the cost of the platform?
  5. Would it be easy to share with other instructors who teach the course?
When I found Genially, I was in love! It met most of the criteria I was looking for and was a fun new tool to play around with. 

But you’re probably still wondering—what is Genially exactly?

Genially is a web-based platform that allows teachers to create interactive, fun, engaging classroom materials. It’s similar to other online platforms, such as Canva, where you can start projects with a template or create your own. Templates in Genially include presentation slide decks, quizzes, jeopardy-type games, matching, escape rooms, and more. All templates include options to add interactivity by linking tooltips, pop-out windows, links, and videos. I like to use this feature to add definitions to words that may be new or links to websites where more information is located on a subject.

Infographic about Genially and some of the features.
So, to compare Genially to my criteria from above:
  1. Is it web-based? Yep!
  2. As the instructor, is it easy for me to build out the lessons? Yes, but there is a learning curve. I’ve made a few different projects, and I get better at each one, but learning the platform isn’t something you can stumble through. Watching videos or reading tutorials is needed.
  3. Is it easy for students to use/understand? The students understand the activities with the instructor leading the class.
  4. What’s the cost of the platform? There is a free option, but the features included are limited. There are also account options that have a fee. Individual accounts range from an annual cost of $90-250/year, depending on your desired features.
  5. Would it be easy to share with other instructors who teach the course? Yes, the lessons I create can be shared with a URL link. Here’s an example of a game from Genially https://view.genially.com/665fd3be2837df00147fee35
Genially is still a tool I’m learning to use, but I plan to spend more time this summer learning the platform and creating lessons for my students this fall. I am also working on my review of another platform called Nearpod that has similar features, and I hope to have that completed soon so I can share it and compare it to Genially. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for bringing another tech to our attention. I had not heard of Genially until now but I have heard of gamification. I think gamification is a valuable tool as for learning. It is typically fun and memorable. When I look at any software/platforms I look for the same criteria as you. I want it to be web based, user friendly, cheap or free, and sharable. I like CANVA as it is free for educators. I wish a lot of other systems were also. I get it though. However, free versions can be a tease because they are so limited.
    Is the sample game you included your design? As an end use I was a little confused as the directions said memorize the locations and once you stated the game it said match the pair. What it really wanted was for you to memorize the where the word and definition were. However, it served its purpose to make me think.
    I think it would have been cool if there had been a “game” on something on this class. However, it does take time to design those things. If possible adding the differences between free and paid is helpful. A lot of time there is a comparison chart on the site for snipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the game linked is a sample I've used before in class. It's part of a multiple game lesson that is meant to be lead by the instructor when we talk about financial aid. The goals are to learn the vocab, how to find answers through the website and work together with their group. I think it the sample I linked reminds us that this type of a platform is meant to be an tool to enhance the lesson and isn't meant to be a 1 for 1 swap with teaching in the classroom or having students complete everything online.

      Delete
  2. I think you did an amazing job at displaying your knowledge and experience of Genially. You have me sold on wanting to use it! As a teacher, I immediately thought of different ways to utilize this to help engage students with my curriculum. I have used a lot of the tools you spoke about being similar but had not heard of Genially before. I appreciate the game example you added, because I can also see how this would lend itself to being useful when teaching students with various accommodations. Other games, like Kahoot, have timers and limits, where this is more user friendly. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post! I appreciate that you included your thought process as well as a detailed description of the tool and an example! (and of course your images helps with clarity on the content and visual interest!) You have inspired me to write a blog post highlighting some of the blog posts from class that describe cool tools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of Genially before either. Looks like a great way to create and share lessons. Being web passed should make sharing and accessing your lessons easy on many different devices. It seems like it could be a great platform for in-class learning or for at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before. It looks like a very impressive teaching method. I learn more from games and hands on activities. I retain the information better. I am going to look into this more and incorporate it in any teaching opportunities I might have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome techies!

The Magic of Canva Image Editing